Are you a victim of identity fraud?
Here are other things to do right away:
- Call the companies where you know fraud occurred
- Ask them to close or freeze the accounts
- Change logins, passwords and PINS for your accounts
- Place a fraud alert and get your credit reports from any of these sources:
- Report identity theft to the FTC at 877-437-4338
- You may choose to file a report with your local police department
What to do next:
- Review your account activity to make sure there are no fraudulent transactions
- Close any new accounts opened in your name
- Correct your credit report
- Write to each of the three credit bureaus and notify them of fraudulent accounts opened in you name
- View a sample letter and address to all 3 credit bureaus »
Was this a tech support scam?
- If so, it's possible your computer may have malware installed in it.
- Consider having your computer cleaned by a professional company locally
- Change your user name and password anywhere you have financial accounts
- Change your email password since it is a common point of compromise for identity theft